Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Hungry, Hungry

 Remember when I said that I wasn't going to go down the Googie / kitch rabbit hole after those Naugas?


I lied.

I was browsing Ebay last week and suddenly this ceramic hippopotamus was all up in my purchase history.



It's totally cutesy, totally kitch, and I'm totally sorry I'm not sorry.


No regrets, though my brother saw it and suggested that I start a Kit-Cat clock collection as well (maybe consider stopping me if my new kitch addiction progresses to that point).


In my defense, take a close-up gander at that big, goofy grin.  Makes you feel all all smiles inside, right?


This guy was put out by the Otagiri Mercantile Company, which made a name for itself in the 1960's with a very popular line of tiki mugs.  Our blog friend Dana over at Mid2Mod covered Otagiri in an earlier post if you'd like to learn more.


If you hadn't gathered from the slot and stopper, this piece is a piggy... err... hippo bank.


Don't judge me.


8 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Me too! He brings out a smile every time I see him.

      Delete
  2. My daughter would arm wrestle you for him. She recently started an animal collection, and she started with a Kosta Boda hippo. Your guy has so much personality! Never fear though. If you start replacing Nelson clocks with Kit -Cats, I'll drive up there and do an intervention. So cool that it was Otagiri...and so interesting. I haven't been able to pinpoint a recognizable style from them...a little of everything, I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah! The sad part is that your daughter would probably whip my butt in an arm wrestling match. I'm not exactly renowned for my upper body strength lol.

      And please watch out for Kit-Cats on this page. I can't be allowed to stray that far.

      Delete
  3. Ohhh I need one of these for my mom -- she has been collecting hippos for as long as I've been alive. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They pop up on Ebay every once in a while, so keep an eye out!

      Delete
  4. That cutie hippo is AWESOME-- let's call it a sculpture.

    ReplyDelete