Monday, June 11, 2012

I must emphasize that this is one cool dining set

You may have seen a certain swanky china cabinet over at Mr. Mod's today and been anxiously awaiting the rest of the set.


Well, wait no longer!  Here it is for your viewing pleasure.



Yep, our last Brasilia sale went so well that Mr. Mod and yours truly teamed up on another project.  He's got a little space here.  I've got a little space there.  Between us we had just enough room to haul this baby in, and man was it a tough haul.  The weather was sweltering and this is a BIG set with a full-size china cabinet, extra-long buffet, dining table, and six chairs.  His Frank and my minivan just about had their fill.



As you can see, the table top will need a little bit of work and there's a few nicks and scratches, but overall the set is in good vintage condition.  Back in those days they built 'em to last. 



Broyhill really outdid themselves in this era.  Brasilia, Sculptra, Emphasis... they're all absolutely stunning.  What I really like about the Emphasis line is the sort of Tiki vibe that it has going on.  Anybody else get that feeling from it?



The fabric is a little traditional for my tastes, but if you're looking for understated then it'd work great.  If you're like me and want something a little more 1960's atomic, then the change should be quick and easy.  Just pop the seat off, put on some new upholstery, and staple it down.

So if you're in need of a cool, mid-mod spot to chow down, keep an eye on Craigslist.  We'll have this Broyhill Emphasis dining set up shortly.







5 comments:

  1. I love that hutch but am a little confused on the dining set. My husband and I recently picked up a table and chair set at auction that we were certain was brasilia. 2 captain chairs, 7 side chairs (came from a large catholic family) and a table with 2 leaves. We only gave $90 because no one knew what it was and it wasn't marked. While the table legs are slightly different than the one you have pictured, the chairs are identical. Did Broyhill make similar chairs for different lines?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's exactly right. These chairs were used with the Brasilia, Emphasis, and Sculptra lines, though there were other styles of chairs that were line-specific.

      Delete
    2. Yeah, these chairs are quite interesting. I've dug up some old Brasilia ads with these in them. I posted them over on my facebook page.

      I haven't really looked for ads for the Sculptra or Emphasis lines, but maybe I will and see what they have in them. They are great chairs and a great set!

      Skyblue Mod

      Delete
  2. Great set! Hope you sell it fast and make a bunch of money. :)

    ReplyDelete