Monday, July 15, 2013

The flock grows

Man, was it a good weekend on for Craigslisting in St. Louis or what?  MCM goodies kept popping up everywhere.  With a full van, I didn't get in on much of the action, but I did still manage to make out quite well.

The big score of the weekend:  another Artisan House by Curtis Jeré Birds in Flight wall hanging.



Can you believe that after sitting on Craigslist for an entire week with an asking price of practically nothing I was the first to email?!  The listing didn't have the usual keywords, but I'd have thought that the picture would have surely perked someone's interest.


This one is in tip top shape too.  There's a nice patina to the brass, but none of the rust that plagues my other Birds in Flight.  It's got both of the mounting hooks still attached as well.



Not that anyone would ever confuse a Jeré for anything else, but the signature and manufacturing date are here too.

Now I only have to paint the whole downstairs so that I can hang this bad boy.

Speaking of bad boys, Mr. McDuff has returned to Mom and Daddy Modtomic after their well-deserved vacation.  Despite all the hissing and hiding of the first week, he eventually warmed up to me and we became good buddies.

This was the first time I've ever cared for a cat, so the whole experience was kind of novel to me.

Here he is in his favorite spot.  I found it somewhat strange that a cat would choose to sleep in a sink, where water could pour out at any moment.  Cats have a thing about water, right?


He was doing a good job posing...


... but I think that he eventually got sick of the pictures.


Here he is doing his best David Hasselhoff impression.


"Where'd you hide the catnip?!  Gimme that cat nip!"


"Oh, man.  WAY too much catnip."


Probably the most entertaining part of McDuff's stay was watching his reaction to the bathtub tap being turned on.  He would sit and just stare at the running water, perched on the sink with the most wide-eyed look of disbelief and confusion.  That bathtub absolutely blew his mind.  Perhaps, as a kitty, he just  couldn't believe that people would voluntarily get IN the water.  Whatever was going through his little brain, I thoroughly enjoyed watching his reaction.


I even made a McDuff meme.



OK, that's enough internet for today.

10 comments:

  1. Great find, especially in such good condition. Love the Kittytomic photos. Believe it or not, my daughter has always bathed her cats in the tub, just like you would a dog, and they didn't seem to mind at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I always thought that cats were terribly afraid of water. Saying that, I used to have a dog who wouldn't go anywhere near it. Animals are kinda strange.

      Delete
  2. I KNEW you'd love having that little guy around the house for a couple of weeks! So when you gonna go adopt your own little shed machine to sit in your lap all day?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hah. I like my work cats fine enough. I get to pet them and don't have to deal with all the hair, scratching, feeding, and cleaning. Maybe one day.

      Delete
  3. Our cats love sitting in the sink, too! I think they like the cool porcelain, plus it's about the size of a catbed, so it's a perfect fit!

    Cats are awesome! Get two, so they have each other while you're away!

    PS: LOVE the Birds in Flight!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kitty and I were pretty good buds by then end of his stay, but I'm still a dog guy in the end. I just need to find a way to keep them away from all the furniture.

      Delete
  4. If you find another Jere like that, keep me in mind. I haven't been able to find one, much less at a decent price, around here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're pretty tough to find. I've seen a few cheap ones pop up that I wasn't able to get to, but they're very distinctive so people tend to look them up before selling and realize what they are. Just keep plugging at Craigslist. Seems to be the best spot.

      Delete
  5. Holy crap! What a score. I love Jere and especially the birds. Congrats! Your kitty is too cute.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was pretty excited about this one. Had another major find too that I'm going to post later in the week.

      Delete