Monday, October 29, 2012

A house divided

Wall units, bookcases, room dividers - I can't get enough of them (and my attic storage space can attest to this).

I'm unsure of the maker, but these pieces show up on the St. Louis Craigslist with some frequency.  I've always just missed out on that room divider action, but now I've got one of my very own.


It's a bookshelf.  It's storage.  It's a desk.  It's just so darn functional and a real looker to boot!



This piece did need some TLC, but nothing a dab of Howard's couldn't take care of.  Now it's got that perfect vintage patina.




The previous owner obviously didn't notice that the unit is finished on both sides (which is why I believe it is a room divider rather than a bookcase), and added this jankey shelf extension.  The screw holes remain, but when against a wall, nobody will be the wiser.


There it is, all moved in and gussied up.  We've got a serious shortage of nic-nacs around here, so I'm on the hunt for a nice set of Bill Curry jax bookends, brass ram heads, West German pottery, and the like.  Anybody got the hookups?


12 comments:

  1. Wow, that's a real beaut! I love what you have displayed on it right now. The typewriter looks fantastic. I'm a real sucker for a dropfront-anything, and I love that it has drawers and doors. Great find!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Dana. I've got some more lovely things on the way to display in it as well. I'll have them up soon.

      Delete
  2. Hey, thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday. I have been following your blog for a while - first saw it on Mr. Modtomic. You find some cool things - I am always envious of the city folk who have access to the MCM furniture. I find mostly smalls in my corner of Missouri but occasionally, I get lucky. I could most definitely fill your shelves on the above amazing piece!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for following as well! No need to be envious. You've got the clean air, open space, and friendlier people. If my commute allowed it, I'd be out in the country in a heartbeat.

      Delete
  3. Sweet divider! I had one in the store for a brief time that was pretty close to this one and so many were loving on it. I was suprised it stayed for even the brief time we had it. Those screw holes could be easily filled and touched over if you decide to move it out into open spaces! I'm always on the lookout for these!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They really are great conversation pieces. Every time someone sees one of the room dividers or wall units, they go crazy for them. I'm not surprised that yours sold quickly.

      Delete
  4. Super nice! I keep seeing these come and go too, but don't have the space. Alas. What a good looking piece. Good job for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Rebecca. Me either, but I couldn't pass this one up. Now I've got the desk that used to be there moved into the sunroom. Oh well, maybe the outdoor views will inspire me to get blogging more.

      Delete
  5. So cool - how wide is that? I don't think there's a room in my little house big enough to handle something like that. Doesn't matter, I wouldn't be able to get it inside anyway. What postwar architect thought it was a good idea to put a wall 4 feet in front of both entrances to my house I don't know. Guess I'll just oogle your pretty giant furniture!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's pretty large. I'd say about 70", give or take a few. I can sympathize with your situation. Our house was built in the 40's and the narrow hallways and doors make it almost impossible to move stuff around. Next time, I'm going with something with real closets, open space, and built to actual building codes!

      Delete
  6. It's made by JB Van Sciver. I have one in my living room. I didn't know the maker for a while until I happened upon one on ebay with a label inside a drawer that was pictured. Not that it means much, but it is nice to be able to attribute it to someone.

    ReplyDelete