Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Oh little Sputnik, flying high ...

I think that I'm developing a bit of an unhealthy obsession with Sputnik lamps.  If I could find enough of them, I think I'd end up with one in every room.



Here are a few snaps of the one I procured from a local estate sale last weekend.  Structurally, it's in pretty decent shape.  There aren't any bends, loose joints, or missing pieces.  Cosmetically, it's a different story.  The whole chandelier needs a thorough cleaning and new bulbs.  It originally had an almost-full set of star bulbs, but an overzealous estate sale shopper managed to break quite a few of them against a piano when she tried to carry it out AFTER I'd taken the tag off and paid.


My initial inclination was to polish with Brasso, but I have a feeling that to do so might be a big mistake.  Anyone have experience restoring and removing tarnish from one of these things (or I guess brass lamps in general)?  I'm not sure if it is solid brass or just brass plating.


4 comments:

  1. I like it! Desperately want to give it a clean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i did that once with my mcm lamp and ended up with a deeper tarnish..mine was brass plated..i too would love to know how to remove tarnish from a plated piece

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd have had to severely smack that shopper! I'd love to have a sputnik one of these days. I haven't been lucky enough to run across one yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You can try with some brass cleaner, in general it's going to loose its finished so clean it well with baking soda and lemon juice

    ReplyDelete