Sunday, September 11, 2011

Coincidence?

I was sitting at home one evening, perusing Craigslist as usual, when I came across these funky looking end tables.


They looked a bit scuffed up in the ad and the simplicity of the design led me to believe that they might be the product of a little mid-century DIY, but I was looking for something with character to go with the Danish sofa and chairs in the sunroom anyway.

The seller was in Southeast St. Louis, which is always a bit of a pain. If you aren't familiar with St. Louis, picking up Craigslist items in the city can be a bit of a crapshoot. One street might be filled trendy loft apartments and old brick mansions while the next is all crack dens and urban ruins. On more than one occasion I've had to turn back because I wasn't willing to go down an alleyway or street that looked just a little too sketchy (and I work in East St. Louis, so that's saying something).


Luckily, the seller lived in one of the former areas. She also turned out to be English! Her, my girlfriend (a fellow Brit), and I sat and talked for quite a while about immigration, England, and Mid-Century furniture. Did I mention that she is also close friends with the owner of The Future Antiques (my favorite Mid-Century shop in the whole of St. Louis)? What luck! It's always nice when sellers turn out to be new friends. She was even kind enough to throw in a cool hand-made coat rack.


I'll give her a plug, as she is still trying to sell her solid teak wall unit. I'd buy it myself, but I have neither the room nor the money. Believe me, it's worth every penny.  Just look at all those great chotchkie nooks.

Link:
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/fuo/2539408673.html



No comments:

Post a Comment