Monday, October 13, 2014

Art Collector

Hey again.  Things are still slow in the STL, but I thought I'd drop in and update you all with a particularly special find:


A vintage original abstract painting!




This is doubly-exciting, as modern art has is exceedingly hard to come by in this town AND this is my first original piece.  While St. Louis might possess a strong modernist heritage, nearly all of the paintings that I've come across are of the traditional, and some might say rather cliche/cheesy, Monet, Norman Rockwell, or Thomas Kinkade variety.  That won't do for this MCM pad!


 I've very few details to share about the work of Phillip Gnaegy other than that he was a local artist active in the 1960's and 70's and that the seller was a close friend of his.  So it isn't exactly a Bopfish Goodwill Picasso find, but I like it just the same.


 The layering and thick application of paint give it a lot of texture and the colors work very well with my existing pieces.  Once we get some paint up on those wall, I think that it'll have a bit more pop, but it'll be a while before we get around to that project.


So, until next time, happy hunting!

3 comments: