Wednesday, July 3, 2013

"Boy, you really order a lot of old retro stuff"

I really jumped into this Ebay thing with both feet.

So far you've only seen the teak Zooline monkey, but my recent foray into online auctions has resulted in numerous visits from the UPS guy.  "Boy, you really order a lot of old retro stuff," he says.  He hasn't yet seen my attic/hoarder's den...

One such package contained a little something that I've waited forever to get my grubby mitts on, a Panasonic RC-1091 "Spencer" clock radio.  While an alarm clock may not excite some, this is one of the first pieces that really sparked my interest in modernism and holds a special place in my heart.




The sleek, minimalist design is, to me, reminiscent of Dieter Rams and absolutely oozes 1970's bachelor pad sex appeal.


The RC-1091 was produced in Japan during the early 1970's and came in three varieties:

*Off-white body (often turns to marigold in the sun), black surround, acid yellow face, black hour/minute hands, white or silver second hand, orange alarm hand
*Black body, white surround, black face, white hour/minute hands, blue second hand, red alarm hand
*Tangerine body, black surround, white face, black hour/minute hands, copper second hand, orange alarm hand


They're actually much larger than it appears in these pictures and can be wall mounted using a metal bracket that folds away into the rear of the clock.  The AM radio comes in crystal clear and gets quite loud.  That's great for a deep sleeper such as myself.


Remember that weird thing that I have about finding duplicates of things right after each other?  It happened again.


Now all I need is the off-white/marigold model and I've got the whole set.  Watch out Ebayers!

6 comments:

  1. Cool clock radio. Love the space age design, so Jetsons.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Probably one of my favorite clock designs. I may even like it more than the Nelson ones.

      Delete
  2. So cool! I love them both. You're right that they just scream bachelor pad.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My bachelor days are long over, but at least I can have the look.

      Delete
  3. have missed being on the blog..and the clock is damn cute

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sudha. You need to get posting again. Found anything good recently?

      Delete